Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Raymond Carter
Build Year: 1956

Morrison – Kerr House

Located in the heart of Nichols Hills, this home was originally designed for W.P. Morrison, but either during the design phase or construction, it appears that the Morrisons backed out and Robert S. Kerr, Jr., purchased the home. He and his family lived here for over three decades, and the home remains very original today.

morrison-kerr house – raymond carter notes

morrison-kerr house – wp morrison house

morrison-kerr house – list of sheets

morrison-kerr house – exterior elevations

morrison-kerr house – elevations

morrison-kerr house – elevation

morrison-kerr house – elevation 2

morrison-kerr house – finish schedule

morrison-kerr house – front door

morrison-kerr house – foundation plan

morrison-kerr house – foundation plan 2

morrison-kerr house – foundation plan – footing sections

morrison-kerr house – floorplan

morrison-kerr house – floorplan – master bedroom

morrison-kerr house – floorplan – guest room

morrison-kerr house – floorplan – gallery library drawing room

morrison-kerr house – floorplan – family vestibule

morrison-kerr house – electrical symbols

morrison-kerr house – electrical

morrison-kerr house – electrical plan – second floor

morrison-kerr house – door schedule

morrison-kerr house – bedroom and balcony

morrison-kerr house – balcony

morrison-kerr house – door schedule

morrison-kerr house – terrace

morrison-kerr house – east overhang of master bedroom

morrison-kerr house – overhangs

morrison-kerr house – profile section

morrison-kerr house – typical wall section

 

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Berlowitz & Commander
Build Year: 1953

Bretz House

 

Local firm Berlowitz & Commander designed this home for hydraulic engineer, C.E. Bretz and his wife Mamie, on five wooded acres that once belonged to the Borne Dairy Farm. The home is perfectly sited atop a hill overlooking the acreage, which also includes a century-old rock horse barn.

Bretz House – map of acreage 1

Bretz House – map of acreage 2

Bretz House – Berlowitz & Commander stamp

Bretz House – east elevation

Bretz House – north elevation

Bretz House – south elevation

Bretz House – west elevation

Bretz House – site map

Bretz House – floorplan

Bretz House – floorplan and terrace

Bretz House – foundation plan

Bretz House – roof plan

Bretz House – finish schedule

Bretz House – club room fireplace

Bretz House – bathroom tile plan

Bretz House – jambs

Bretz House – sections AA BB CC

Bretz House – window detail

Bretz House – utility room

Bretz House – section thru service porch

Bretz House – kitchen

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Fred D. Shellabarger
Build Year: 1966

Sprehe-Lawrencce House

This home was built for the Sprehe family, but architect Robert Lawrence of the firm Noftsger & Lawrence lived in this home for over four decades until his death in 2011. His wife remained in the home until 2016, when new owners heavily remodeled it.

Sprehe House – Shellabarger

Sprehe House – stamp

Sprehe House – plot plan

Sprehe House – exterior

Sprehe house – elevations

Sprehe House – exterior elevations 2

Sprehe House – exterior elevations 3

Sprehe House – exterior elevations

Sprehe House – exterior stair detail

Sprehe House – brick planter and retaining wall

Sprehe House – floorplan

Sprehe House – entry and living room

Sprehe House – living room

Sprehe House – kitchen and dining room

Sprehe House – dining room

Sprehe House – kitchen details

Sprehe House – bar and den

Sprehe House – master bedroom

Sprehe House – master bedroom 2

Sprehe House – master bedroom hall

Sprehe House – second level floorplan

Sprehe House – second floor roof

Sprehe House – basement mechanical plan

Sprehe House – finish schedule

Sprehe House – fireplace detail

Sprehe House – foundation plan

Sprehe House – jambs

Sprehe House – sill and entry door

Sprehe House – shower detail

Sprehe House – mullion and window

Sprehe House – lighting fixture schedule

Sprehe House – lighting plan kitchen and living

Sprehe House – luminous ceiling kitchen

Sprehe House – second floor electrical

 

 

 

Location: Tahlequah - OK
Architect: R. Duane Conner
Build Year: 1960

Hicks House

R. Duane Conner designed this home for his sister and her family on a hillside lot in suburban Tahlequah. The family remained in the home until the 1990s and now its third owner is completing a sensitive updating of the home.

Hicks House – Tahlequah – upper level

Hicks House – Tahlequah – lower level

Hicks House – Tahlequah – East Elevation

Hicks House – Tahlequah – West Elevation

Hicks House_east and west

Hicks House_north and south

Hicks House_roof joist bearing elevations

Hicks House_plan for foundation and slab 1

Hicks House – foundation and slab details

Hicks House – Tahlequah – Sections 901-905

Hicks House – fireplace detail

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Gary McCowan
Build Year: 1974

Fox & Horn

The stunning organic modern building that housed Fox & Horn restaurant made the eatery a true destination spot in Oklahoma City. Soon after its opening in 1974, The Oklahoman called the new dining spot “one of the most beautiful restaurants in the city,” and the design was so integral to the success of the establishment that the building was included in early advertisements for the restaurant.

After becoming a variety of restaurants over the years, the 9,400 sf building was auctioned off in 1991 and became medical offices. In the May 2013 tornado that swept through SW OKC and Moore, the building sustained damage, and the old and still glamorous Fox & Hound building was demolished in the summer of 2015.

Fox & Horn Restaurant – upper level – club

Fox & Horn Restaurant – lower level – mail level plan

Fox & Horn Restaurant – dining expansion – preliminary drawings

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Garth Kennedy
Build Year: 1956

Kennedy House

Engineer Garth Kennedy designed this home for himself and his family on a heavily wooded lot overlooking a creek, and he remained in the home until moving to an assisted living center in 2016. A buyer purchased and all of its contents the home the same year and recently completed a thoughtful and sensitive restoration of the house and outdoor spaces.

Garth Kennedy these site studies in the 1950s, likely during the design process for the home.

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: R. Duane Conner
Build Year: 1947

Bainbridge House

This home was designed for Jewell Bainbridge, who was the second wife of movie star, Tom Mix, and it was featured in the April 1948 issue of American Home magazine.

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: John Bozalis of Bailey Bozalis Dickinson & Roloff
Build Year: 1954

Papahronis House

Architect John Bozalis designed this mid-century modern home in Edgemere Park for Johnny Papahronis, who owned the beloved Lunch Box restaurant in downtown Oklahoma City.

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Raymond Carter
Build Year: 1984

Oklahoma Museum of Art Gate

Frank and Merle Buttram constructed their grand, 30 room mansion in the heart of Nichols Hills in 1937 and after their deaths, a group purchased the estate in 1975 and donated it to the Oklahoma Museum of Art. In 1989, the museum merged with the Oklahoma Art Center to form the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, which is now located downtown. This gate was designed to advertise the Oklahoma Museum of Art and it is still in place, even though the former museum is once again a private residence.

OKC Museum of Art Entrance Gate

(photo courtesy of the Oklahoma History Center)

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Raymond Carter
Build Year: 1971

Dannold House

 

The first two pages of the following plans belong to the Dannold House, which is located in Quail Creek in Oklahoma City.

Dannold House

Location: Yukon - OK
Architect: Richard J. Kuhlman
Build Year: 1948

Harris House

One of the first mid-century modern homes constructed in Central Oklahoma was this house designed by OU professor and university architect, Richard J. Kuhlman. In the days before air conditioning, his creative design, which included an interior courtyard, allowed for cool breezes to enter and circulate around the house to keep it cool during hot Oklahoma summers. The design was so innovative that it was featured in several national publications.

Diagrams showing air circulation:

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: George Seminoff
Build Year: 1957

McConnell House

This home was George Seminoff’s first big project after graduating from OSU, and it featured a leather floor in the library, hexagonal-shaped rooms with custom built-in storage, and spectacular views of the pool and backyard from nearly every room.

McConnell House floorplan:

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: George Seminoff
Build Year: 1959-1970

Seminoff House

This unique home was built in phases beginning in 1959 when recent OSU graduate George Seminoff constructed a giant, one-room home for himself. As he married and had children, he expanded the home to include a bedroom wing and a second story den and children’s rooms. The completed home received an AIA award and was featured in Living Now magazine.

Seminoff House floorplan:

 

Location: Norman - OK
Architect: Dean Bryant Vollendorf
Build Year: 1965

Vollendorf House

Dean Bryant Vollendorf designed this home, which he dubbed the Mustang, while he was an associate professor at the University of Oklahoma. The bright and airy home included an indoor/outdoor atrium, three bedrooms, and two baths in 1,400sf. During the ’60s, Vollendorf showcased many of his designs, including the Mustang, in the New Homes Guide and sold plans to interested readers for a small fee. The rendering and floorplan below are from the Winter 1967 issue of the magazine.

vollendorf house – new homes guide rendering

vollendorf house – new homes guide floorplan

Also, go here to read more about Vollendorf and his association with the New Homes Guide.

 

Location: Edmond - OK
Architect: Truett Coston of Coston Frankfurt & Short
Build Year: 1954

Coston House

The very modern Coston House was designed and built around an existing territorial farmhouse:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To seamlessly blend old and new, Coston mimicked the A-frame roof design of the Land Run-era farmhouse in the new addition.

Here’s the home today:

You can read more about this award-winning design here and here.

Coston House – Bird’s Eye View

Coston House – Floorplan

Coston House – Rendering

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Wright & Selby
Build Year: 1978

Central National Motor Bank expansion

The original, one-story Central National Motor Bank was completed in 1959 and designed by the same firm, Wright & Selby, that was also hired 15 years later to add a second story to the structure. The bank building and annex drive-thru across the street is now owned by Oklahoma City Public Schools.

Cover page and rendering of bank

Rendering detail

Index

Plan – Water Service and Meter Location

Plot Plan

Paving Plan detail

Annex drive-thru paving detail

Paving Plan, entire site

Paving

Room Finish Schedule

Materials Legend

Vault areas and employee lounges

Mechanical and computer rooms

Basement

Abbreviations

First Floor Plan

Room Finish Schedule, floor 1, page 1

Room Finish Schedule, floor 1, page 2

Room Finish Schedule, floor 2

Second Floor Plan

Roof Plan

Roof Plan and Misc. Details

Jambs

Louver Cap

Cooling Tower Support Detail

Pre-cast Panels

East Elevation

Panels and wavy entrance

North Elevation

North and East Elevations

South and West Elevations

West Elevation

10-1 and 10-2 Sections

South Elevation

Cross Section Looking West

Cross Section Looking East

Longitudnal Section Looking North

Longitudnal Section

Basement Floor – Foundation Plan

First Floor and Terrace Framing Plan

 

 

 

 

 

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Fred D. Shellabarger
Build Year: 1967

Jones / Holloway House

This home was designed by OU professor Fred Shellabarger.

Electrical Fixture Schedule

Floorplan

Bedroom wing

Guest room/office and carport

Living/dining/kitchen

Living/dining/club room

 

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Robert Roloff of Bailey Bozalis Dickinson & Roloff
Build Year: 1958

Citizens State Bank / Gold Dome

Citizens State Bank opened for business on May 27, 1948 and, as one of the only suburban-based banks, it grew so rapidly that the directors looked to expand within a few short years. They chose a site at the corner of NW 23rd and Classen where the old Jefferson School had recently closed and hired Bailey Bozalis Dickinson & Roloff to design a thoroughly modern building that would be a true bank of the future. Robert Roloff returned with plans for a Buckminster Fuller-inspired geodesic dome, which proved to be just what the directors were looking for. The Gold Dome opened to great fanfare in 1958 and remains a beloved architectural icon today.

Gold Dome Opening Commemorative Publication

(vintage photo courtesy the Oklahoma History Center)

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Gus Dannhauser
Build Year: 1965

Duncan House

Gus Dannhauser was a builder who began to dabble in residential design in the mid-1960s. This interesting hexagonal home home was likely his first and perhaps only completed design before Dannhauser’s untimely death in 1969.

Duncan House floorplan

 

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Jack M. Graves
Build Year: 1966

Jamestown Condominiums

With its buildings of varying widths and heights, brick-paved streets, and gaslit street lamps, the quiet and secluded Jamestown complex, located on NW 63rd between Independence and Drexel was modeled after the historic Georgetown in Washington D.C. It was the first condo development in Oklahoma City and was originally intended to consist of 130 mostly two bedroom units in the $25,000 to $40,000 price range ($195,000 – $310,000 in 2018); however, demand wasn’t as high as the developers hoped and only 40 or so were actually constructed.

Some units featured split-level floor plans with the dining room overlooking the living area, as pictured in this 1966 photo from the Oklahoma History Center’s OPUBCO archives:

Drawings of Townhouses

Jamestown Pages 1-5

Jamestown Pages 6-10

Jamestown Pages 11-15

Jamestown Pages 16-20

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Bill Halley
Build Year: 1966

Keso Clinic

Dr. Larson Keso wanted a timeless design for his new orthodontic clinic near Baptist Hospital, and he wasn’t satisfied until architect Bill Halley presented his seventh drawing for the building. Keso’s discriminating tastes were certainly rewarded with this chic piece of organic modernism that is as timeless as he hoped it would be.

The drawings in this collection include some of Halley’s early designs for the clinic.

Keso Clinic – rejected design 1

Keso Clinic – rejected design 2

Keso Clinic – rejected design 3

Keso Clinic – drawing of accepted design 1

Keso Clinic – drawing of accepted design 2

Keso Clinic – floor plan

Keso Clinic – floor plan detail

Keso Clinic – north elevation

Keso Clinic – wall details

Keso Clinic – Bill Halley stamp

Location: Nichols Hills - OK
Architect: Berlowitz & Commander
Build Year: 1954

Miller House

Located on a large lot in the heart of Nichols Hills, this home was designed by architects Norman Berlowitz and A.C. Commander for Willard Miller and his family.

Miller House

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Halley Riek & Associates
Build Year: 1967-1969

Lincoln Plaza

The 24-acre Lincoln Plaza was developed in two stages beginning in 1967 by John Lewis, president of First Fidelity Corporation. Eager to revitalize the increasingly seedy Lincoln Boulevard, Lewis believed that the complex would breathe new life into the area with its trademart, hotel, and office complex. He hired the architecture firm of Halley Riek & Associates to design the complex.

Although the trademart was never built, the rest of the complex opened to great fanfare in 1969, with Hertz and Wilson Company as anchor tenants in the office building. Boasting the most modern amenities in town, the hotel quickly filled up with patrons, including Elvis Presley, and its meeting rooms and restaurant became a second home to many local politicians and businessmen.

The drawings in this collection are preliminary site studies for Lincoln Plaza.

Lincoln Plaza Sketches

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Pietro Belluschi
Build Year: 1972

Kerr-McGee Tower

The 30-story Kerr-McGee Tower was designed by Pietro Belluschi with Frankfurt Short Emery & McKinley as associates. It opened in 1972 and features windows that vary in size as the structure soars to the sky. Over the years, the tower has received numerous awards, including the “25 Year Award of Excellence" from the Oklahoma AIA. SandRidge Energy purchased the building in 2007 and extensively renovated the entire campus.

Kerr McGee Tower Architectural Scans

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Coston & Frankfurt
Build Year: 1955

Capitol Hill High School Fieldhouse

 

The state-of-the-art domed fieldhouse was such a novelty when it was completed in 1955 that it was featured in Oklahoma Teacher magazine and a 1950s-era book put together by the Oklahoma City Board of Education called Oklahoma City: Capital of Soonerland. Today, the fieldhouse is still in use and hosts both high school and college-level activities.

Capitol Hill High School Fieldhouse

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Coston & Frankfurt
Build Year: 1950

Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation (OMRF)

The Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation (OMRF) was established in 1946 as a non-profit biomedical research institute. Over 7,000 people throughout the state donated $2.25 million to construct this state-of-the-art facility, which was constructed by contractor, J. Bollinger and opened in 1950.

OK Medical Research Foundation Building Scans

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Truett Coston of Coston Frankfurt & Short
Build Year: 1949-1957

St. Luke’s United Methodist Church

St. Luke’s is perhaps Oklahoma City’s grandest mid-century modern church and is a masterful piece of art and architecture. Architect Truett Coston began the project by designing the Education Building in 1949. It was constructed the following year and the congregation used that space while Coston began designing the main sanctuary and chapel.

For the sanctuary and chapel, Coston spared no expense and customized every detail, from the exterior Norwegian Blue granite where the name of the church appears in gold leaf to the three interlocking brass circles (called a triquetra) that make up the door handles, to the shellstone walls in the 1,800-seat sanctuary that are reminiscent of the fisherman who were the first apostles, to the 185-foot bell tower with a carillon of 42 bells.

As for the 40-foot-tall stained glass windows that appear on both the north and south sides of the church, artist Robert Harmon captured various Biblical characters in magnificent modern detail. Also, because one of St. Luke’s parishioners was confined to a wheelchair and found it difficult to maneuver around the church, Coston became a real pioneer when he made the building handicapped accessible.

Today, the church is little changed and is as remarkable now as it was when it was completed in 1957. Go here to view a rare St. Luke’s brochure from that time.

St. Luke’s Methodist Church – Education Bldg Scans

St-Luke’s-Timeline

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Robert Roloff of Bailey Bozalis Dickinson & Roloff
Build Year: 1960

Plaza Tower Hotel

The 10-floor, hexagonal-shaped Plaza Tower Hotel was the first hotel built in OKC since the Skirvin Tower was completed in 1938. The building housed a generous lobby, dining room, and various shops. While it was constructed next to the ever-expanding St. Anthony medical complex and was the only upscale Midtown hotel, the Plaza Tower never really took off and, within a few years, was converted to office space and renamed the Shartel Professional Building. In 1986, new owners announced that the building would undergo yet another conversion, this time to an elderly living center, but the continuing economic downturn kept cash-strapped developers from pursuing the plan. Two years later, OKC’s most modern hotel was unceremoniously demolished. The site sat vacant for over 25 years until construction began on the LIFT apartments in 2016.

Go here to view a brochure from the Plaza Tower Hotel.

Plaza Tower Hotel

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Duane Conner and Fred Pojezny
Build Year: 1956

First Christian Church

Even a near-decade before its dedication day, the distinctive eggshell-shaped dome of the First Christian Church prompted minister William "Bill" Alexander to dub it "the church of tomorrow."

But it almost never saw the light of day. One of a campus of buildings designed by architect Duane Conner in 1956, the unique concrete shape with cutout arches had been deemed of questionable structural integrity by consulting experts. However, in early 1955, a representative of the American Concrete Institute convinced Conner to proceed. The interior arrangement for the 2,000-seat sanctuary also was considered unusual at the time.

Although the First Christian Church congregation dates back to the 1889 Land Run, its first building (1894) was located at Third Street and Harvey Avenue. Two other locations were utilized before the church moved to its present structure, which cost $1.3 million and employed the specialized skills of 600 individuals.

The original campus is completed by a 130-foot-tall bell tower; a circular fine arts building, containing the colored-quartz-paneled Jewel Box Theater; and a four-story education building constructed of high-pressure, steam-cured concrete blocks.

Go here to read a detailed history about the planning and construction of this mid-century modern gem.

Select A Plan To View

1956-FirstChristianChurch-Dome

1956-FirstChristianChurch-Dome2

1956-FirstChristianChurch-Sanctuary-Dome Superstructure

1956-FirstChristianChurch-Sanctuary Education and Jewel Box

1956-FirstChristianChurch-SouthElevation

1956-FirstChristianChurch-StairDetail

1947-FirstChristianChurch-Amphitheater

1946-FirstChristianChurch-SitePlan

1977-FirstChristianChurch-Chapel Remodel-Pojezny

1964-FirstChristianChurch-YouthCenter-Pojezny

1970-FirstChristianChurch-Altar-Design-Pojezny

 

 

Location: Oklahoma City - OK
Architect: Soloman Andrew Layton and S. Wemyss-Smith
Build Year: 1917

Oklahoma State Capitol

The Oklahoma State Capitol is the house of government of the U.S. state of Oklahoma. It is the building that houses the Oklahoma Legislature and executive branch offices. It is located along Lincoln Boulevard in Oklahoma City. The present structure includes a dome completed in 2002. Oklahoma’s first capital was Guthrie, Oklahoma, but it moved to Oklahoma City in 1910. Construction began on the Oklahoma State Capitol in 1914 and was completed in 1917. Originally, it housed the judicial branch of Oklahoma, but the state’s high courts moved most of their operations to the Oklahoma Judicial Center in 2011, leaving only the Supreme Court Hearing Chamber in the capitol building.

The state capitol complex is the only state capitol grounds in the United States with active oil rigs.

State government officials let voters decide on whether or not to move the capital to Oklahoma City. On June 11, 1910, the state seal was taken from Guthrie and moved south to Oklahoma City, where the Oklahoma State Capitol is located today. Lee Cruce, the second Governor of Oklahoma commissioned the architectural construction of the present day structure. Prior to its construction, state government offices were housed in the Huckins Hotel in downtown Oklahoma City.

Construction on the Oklahoma State Capitol began after a groundbreaking ceremony on July 20, 1914. Architects Soloman Andrew Layton and S. Wemyss-Smith were paid $75,000 to develop the architectural plans, while James Stewart & Company received the construction contract. The building’s exterior is constructed mainly of Indiana limestone, with a base of local Oklahoma pink granite, and Oklahoma black granite for the grand staircase. The interior prominently features marble as well as fixtures from a variety of sources. While original plans called for a dome, it was omitted due to cost overruns discovered in 1915 when the original $1.5 million appropriated by the Oklahoma Legislature proved insufficient to fund the additional structure necessary to support and construct the dome.

In 1998, state legislators and the governor enacted legislation to create the Oklahoma Centennial Act, which formed the Oklahoma Capitol Complex and Centennial Commemoration Commission. The commission worked to fund a dome for the Oklahoma State Capitol and construction of the dome began in 2001 and was completed in 2002. Design of the dome was completed by architects and engineers, Frankfurt-Short-Bruza Associates, PC. It included a 22 feet (6.7 m) bronze sculpture called The Guardian.

The original building was completed on June 30, 1917.

Select a Plan to view

1 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Basement Floor Plan

2 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – First Floor Plan

3 1917 Orig Capital Building – Second Floor Plan

4 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Third Floor Plan

5 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Fourth Floor Plan

6 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Fifth Floor

7 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Roof Plan

8 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Exterior Elevations

9 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Exterior Elevations2

10 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Bldg Sections

11 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Bldg Sections and Details

12 – 1917 Orig Capital Building – Dome Drawings

Calendar


« December 2018 »
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31